Marleen De Troch
Summary of CV:
I obtained my master in Biology (UGent) in 1995 with a masterthesis on 'Community structure and feeding ecology of fishes from a tropical bay (Gazi Bay, Kenya)'. My PhD research (1995-2001, Research Foundation –Flanders (FWO)) focussed on ‘Ecology of harpacticoid copepods: structural biodiversity in tropical seagrass beds’ in close cooperation with KMFRI (Kenya Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kenya), ECOSUR (El Colegio del frontera Sur, Mexico) and DOSCST (Davao Oriental State College for Science and Technology, The Philippines). As Postdoctoral Fellow of the Research Foundation-Flanders (2001-2011) I study the structural aspects of marine biodiversity and develop lab experiments to unravel trophic interactions at the basis of marine food webs. These research interests fit well within the Special Research Fund project on ‘Understanding biodiversity effects on the functioning of marine benthic ecosystems’ (BOF-UGent) where I am currently involved in.
Experience Higher education:
Since my PhD degree in 2001, I am involved in national and international eductional programmes both at the bachelor and master level. I gave my first classes within the frame of the United Nations University (UNU) Biodiversity Training Course at the UGent. Ever since I am main course holder in various master programmes: (1) EMBC (Erasmus mundus: Master of Science in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation), (2) Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Sciences and Management ‘Oceans and Lakes’ (VLIR ICP 11) and (3) Master of Science in Aquaculture (VLIR ICP 4). I am co-titular of two courses in the Biology Programme at UGent and one course in the Erasmus Mundus: European Master of Science in Nematology. I was invited for some lectures in the master programme Mestrado em Biologiae Ecologia do Litoral Marinho (University of Evora, Portugal).
Further educational task include supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students for projects on ecological, taxonomical and experimental topics.
Participation in Projects:
- 1/1/2003-31/12/2006 - FWO (Research Foundation Flanders)-research project G.0199.03 ‘A comparative studie of the meio-epifauna associated to tropical and coldwater coral reefs.’ Promotors: Prof. Dr. A. Vanreusel, Dr. M. De Troch, Dr. A. Muthumbi (Univeristy of Nairobi, Kenya), Dr. S. Ndaro (Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania).
- 1/1/2004-31/12/2007 - FWO (Research Foundation Flanders)-research project G.0313.04 ‘Role of feeding strategies for the structure and biodiversity of diatom and copepod communities.’ Promotors: Prof. Dr. A. Vanreusel, Dr. M. De Troch, Prof. Dr. W. Vyverman, Dr. E. Ólafsson (Stockholm University, Sweden).
- 1/1/2009-31/12/2012 - FWO (Research Foundation Flanders)-research project G.0192.09N, ‘Top-down and bottom-up controles in benthic food webs, and their role for the dynamics en the functioning of meiobenthos and bacteria’. Promotors: Prof. Dr. T. Moens, Dr. M. De Troch, Prof. Dr. A. Willems.
- 1/1/2009-31/12/2012 - BOF-UGent research propject 01J14809 ‘Top-down controles on benthic marine food webs: effects of bacterivores and their predators on bacterial communities, and implications for ecosystem functions’ Promotors: Prof. Dr. T. Moens, Dr. M. De Troch, Prof. Dr. A. Willems.
- 01/07/09-30/06/2012 - Austrian Science Fund (FWF) project P21542-B17 ‘Low dissolved oxygen events in the Northern Adriatic: in situ experimental insights into benthic responses before, during and post-anoxia.’ Promotors: Stachowitsch, M. & Zuschin, M. (University of Vienna, Austria)
- De Troch M, Fiers F, Vincx M (2001) Alpha and beta diversity of harpacticoid copepods in a tropical seagrass bed: the relation between diversity and species’ range size distribution. Mar Ecol Progr Ser 215: 225-236
- De Troch M, Steinarsdóttir MB, Chepurnov V, Ólafsson E (2005) Grazing on diatoms by harpacticoid copepods: species-specific density-dependent uptake and microbial gardening. Aquat Microb Ecol 39: 135-144
- De Troch M, Grego M, Chepurnov VA, Vincx M (2007) Food patch size, food concentration and grazing efficiency of the harpacticoid Paramphiascella fulvofasciata (Crustacea, Copepoda). J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 343: 210-216
- De Troch M, Cnudde C, Willems A, Moens T, Vanreusel A (2010) Bacterial colonization on fecal pellets of harpacticoid copepods and on their diatom food. Microb Ecol 60: 581-591
- Cnudde C, Willems A, Van Hoorde K, Vyverman W, Moens T, De Troch M (2011) Effect of food preservation on the grazing behaviour and on the gut flora of the harpacticoid copepod Paramphiascella fulvofasciata. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 407: 63-69