Summary of CV:
Tim Deprez is specialized in taxonomy of invertebrates, application of databases in biological research, and since a few years also in organizational aspects of higher education. He is a multidisciplinary person combining classical scientific topics with recent IT skills. Since 5 years he is teaching 3 courses on MSc level in Ghent and the Algarve. He is the practical coordinator of the EM MSc in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation. In the IRO of Ghent University he is developing software (EConsort) for managing and structuring educational programmes. Consequently he has a broad knowledge of international higher education in general and the related practical organizational aspects.
Experience Higher education:
Post-doc experience in Ghent University since 2006, with teaching and research training experience in the fields of Taxonomy and Data and Information management. He is teaching in MSc Biology, the ERASMUS MUNDUS Master of Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (EMBC) (both at Ghent University as University of the Algarve - Portugal), and the Master programme Oceans and Lakes. He is since 2008 the practical coordinator of the ERASMUS MUNDUS Master programme in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (EMBC). He is coordinating summerschools organized in the framework of EMBC. Since 2011 he is one of the teachers of the IODE project office in Ostend in the field of marine data management. He is also part-time active in the International Relations Office of Ghent University where he helps to structure international educational programmes making use of databases. He developed the software package EConsort which is nowadays broadly used at Ghent University for running international courses.
Participation in Projects:
- 2005 - 2008: MARBEF - Partner - www.marbef.org
- 2011 - 2012: Euromarine - Partner - www.euromarineconsortium.eu
- Deprez, T.; Wooldridge, T.; Mees J.; Vincx M. (2000). A new species of Gastrosaccus (Crustacea, Mysidacea) from Algoa Bay (South Africa). Hydrobiologia 441: 141-148
- Deprez, T.; Wooldridge, T. ; Mees J. (2001). Idiomysis mozambicus, a new mysid species (Crustacea: Mysidacea) from Mozambique. Hydrobiologia 459(1-3): 47-49
- Remerie, T.; Bulckaen, B.; Calderon, J.; Deprez, T.; Mees, J.; Vanfleteren, J.; Vanreusel, A.; Vierstraete, A.; Vincx, M.; Wittmann, K.J.; Wooldridge, T. (2004). Phylogenetic relationships 23 within the Mysidae (Crustacea, Peracarida, Mysida) based on nuclear 18S ribosomal RNA sequences. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 32(3): 770-777
- Renaud, P.E.; Webb, T.J.; Bjørgesæter, A.; Karakassis, I.; Kedra, M.; Kendall, M.A.; Labrune, C.; Lampadariou, N.; Somerfield, P.J.; Wlodarska-Kowalczuk, M.; Vanden Berghe, E.; Claus, S.; Aleffi, I.F.; Amouroux, J.M.; Bryne, K.H.; Cochrane, S.J.; Dahle, S.; Degraer, S.; Denisenko, S.G.; Deprez, T.; Dounas, C.; Fleischer, D.; Gil, J.; Grémare, A.; Janas, U.; Mackie, A.S.Y.; Palerud, R.; Rumohr, H.; Sardá, R.; Speybroeck, J.; Taboada, S.; Van Hoey, G.; Weslawski, J.M.; Whomersley, P.;
- Zettler, M.L. (2009). Continental-scale patterns in benthic invertebrate diversity: insights from the MacroBen database. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 382: 239-252, details
- Vanaverbeke, J.; Deprez, T.; Vincx, M. (2007). Changes in nematode communities at the long-term sand extraction site of the Kwintebank (Southern Bight of the North Sea). Mar. Pollut. Bull. 54(9): 1351-1360