Summary of CV:Jan Vanaverbeke started his career at NIOO-CEME and UGent by investigating deep-sea nematodes during the OMEX project. He spent one year in Germany (University of Oldenburg), investigating nematode communities from the Arctic Laptev Sea, before rejoining the Marine Biology Research Group of Ghent University. His PhD research was on nematode communities from the Belgian Part of the North Sea, with focus on nematode biomass spectra and nematode communities from permeable sediments. Later on, his research was targeted towards benthic-pelagic coupling, and the biodiversity-ecosystem functioning link in coastal sediments, again including permeable sediments. His research now includes al benthic size groups (macrofauna – meiofauna and microbes). Jan Vanaverbeke was principal investigator of the MANUELA project (part of EU-FP6 MArBEF), coordinator of the FP7-MESMA work package on case studies, and coordinator of several national research projects.
Experience Higher education:Jan Vanaverbeke has been a research assistent for 7 years, guiding students through exercises on general zoology. He is responsable for the organisation of several sea going courses, and the elaboration of the samples and the ecological interpretation. At the moment, Jan Vanaverbeke holds courses on "Data gathering, processing and presentation" for the Erasmus Mundus EUMAINE programme, Field Work and Laboratory Practices (VLIR-UOS Master of Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management), and Multivariate Data Analyis (MSc Biology). He is responsable for the practical exercises on Biostatistics (3rd Bachelor Biology and Erasmus Mundus EUMAINE). Within EMBC, he is currently involved in “Biostatistics, experimental design and multivariate analysis” and he is a future lector in the “Biogeochemistry” course (with C. Heip).
Participation in Projects:2004-2009: Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning - MarBEF - Partner - www.marbef.org
2012- ... : Monitoring and Evaluation of Spatially Managed Areas - MESMA - Partner - www.mesma.org
2005-2008: Meiobenthic And Nematode biodiversity: Unravelling Ecological and Latitudinal Aspects (RMP withi MarBEF MANUELA) - Coordinator - http://www.marbef.org/projects/Manuela/index.php
- Vanaverbeke J, Soetaert K, Vincx M (2004) Changes in morphometric characteristics of nematode communities during a spring phytoplankton bloom deposition. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 273: 139-146
- Franco MA, Soetaert K, Van Oevelen D, Van Gansbeke D, Costa MJ, Vincx M, Vanaverbeke J (2008) Density, vertical distribution and trophic responses of metazoan meiobenthos to phytoplankton deposition in contrasting sediment types. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 358:51-62
- Braeckman U, Provoost P, Gribsholt B, Van Gansbeke D, Middelburg JJ, Soetaert K, Vincx M, Vanaverbeke J (2010). Role of macrofauna functional traits and density in biogeochemical fluxes and bioturbation. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 399: 173-186
- Braeckman U, Provoost P, Moens T, Soetaert K, Middelburg JJ, Vincx M, Vanaverbeke J (2011). Biological vs. Physical mixing effects on benthic food web dynamics. PlosOne 6(3) e18078. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0018078
- Kraberg AC, Wasmund N, Vanaverbeke J, Schiedek D, Wiltshire KH, Mieszkowska N (2011). Regime shifts in the marine environment: the scientific basis and political context. Mar. Poll Bull 62:7-20