Summary of CV:Karim ERZINI (1958), Associate professor at University of Algarve (PT) is a specialist in fisheries (population dynamics, impacts of fishing and assessment). He is the head of the Coastal Fisheries Research Group (17 persons) (http://fcma.ualg.pt/cfrg/index.shtml) since 1994. He teaches e.g. Population Dynamics, Stock Assessment, Modelling and Fisheries technology / BSc/Master Biology and Marine Biology, Master in Aquaculture and Fisheries and in the ERASMUS MUNDUS Master of Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (EMBC). He has supervised 10 completed PhDs (5 defended in the last 5 years), with 5 ongoing PhDs. In total he has 93 refereed publications in fish/ fisheries biology, ecology, population dynamics and oceanography. He has coordinated 8 international and 2 national projects
Experience Higher education:2006 – present: Associate professor with agregação
1998-2006: Associate professor, Universidade do Algarve
1990-1998: Assistant professor, Universidade do Algarve
Participation in Projects:RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
Coordination of international projects
- 2007-2010 – “Restoration and Management of Biodiversity in the Marine Park Site Arrábida-Espiche”, LIFE Project - PTCON0010.
- 2000-2002 – “Recruitment of sea breams (Sparidae) and other commercially important species in the Algarve (southern Portugal)”. Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV C1/99/061.
- 1999-2001 - “Trammel net selectivity studies in the Algarve (southern Portugal), Gulf of Cadiz (Spain), Basque Country (Spain) and Cyclades islands (Greece)”. Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV C1/98/014.
- 1999-2001 - “Fisheries biology and assessment of demersal species (Sparidae) from the south of Portugal”, Commission of the European Communities DG XIV C1/98/082.
- 1997-1999 - “Comparative fixed gear selectivity studies in Portugal and Greece”. Commission of the European Communities DG XIV C1/96/065.
- 1997-1999 - “Hake semi-pelagic longline selectivity and evaluation of selectivity models for hook and line gears”. Commission of the European Communities DG XIV C1/96/062.
- 1995-1996 - "Longline selectivity and biology of 'red' sea breams (Sparidae)". Commission of the European Communities DG XIV C1/ 94/049.
- 1994-1995 - "Small hook longline selectivity study". Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1 BIOECO/93/004.
- 2007-2011 – “Ocean Tracking Network (OTN) ” Funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation. http://www.oceantrackingnetwork.org/
- 2004-2005 – “Bases científicos para a gestão de recursos pesqueiros de interesse comum – GESTPESCA II”. Projecto INTERREG III.
- 2002-2004 - “Bases científicos para a gestão de recursos pesqueiros de interesse comum – GESTPESCA I”. Projecto INTERREG III.
- 1998-2001 - “A study to identify, quantify and ameliorate the impacts of static gear lost at sea”. Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1 FAIR-PL98-4338.
- 1998-2000 – “Analysis of fisheries discards from the south coast of Portugal (DISCARDS II)”, Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1 97/0087.
- 1998-2000 - “Cephalopod Resources Dynamics and Fisheries Trends in the Algarve and Gulf of Cadiz (ALCACEPH)”, Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1 97/0086.
- 1997-1998 - “Methodologies to study the impact of discards in trawl fisheries”, Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1.DG XIV/C/1
- 1996-1998 - "Studies of the discards of commercial fisheries from the south coast of Portugal”, Commission of the European Communities, DG XIV/C/1 95/081.
- 1995-1997 - "Incidental impact of gillnets (FANTARED)", Commission of the European Communities DG XIV C1/94/095.
- 2008- present: Member of the management board of the ERASMUS MUNDUS Masters in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation.
- 2008 – 2010: Module (8 hours) in the Masters in “Acuicultura y pesca: recursos marinos y sostenibilidad”, Universidad de Cadiz, Spain
- 2005: Module (2 ECTS) on “Impact of Fisheries on the Coastal Zone”, MUNDUS masters in “ Water and Coastal Management”, Universidade do Algarve.
- 2004: Module (18 hours) on Fisheries and Gear Selectivity, in „1º Mestrado Internacional en Pesca y Acuicultura‟, University of Cadiz, Spain
- 2003: Module (18 hours) on Fisheries and Gear Selectivity in „Master Chef de Projet Halieutique‟, CREUFOP LR-Université Montpellier 2, France
- Abecasis, D., L. Bentes and K. Erzini. 2009. Home range, residency and movements of Diplodus sargus and Diplodus vulgaris in a coastal lagoon: connectivity between nursery and adult habitats. Esturarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 85:525-529.
- Coelho, R. and K. Erzini. 2008. Life history of the velvet belly lanternshark, Etmopterus spinax, in southern Portugal (NE Atlantic). Journal of Fish Biology 73: 1419-1443
- Stergiou, K.I, Moutopoulos, D.K., Hernando Casal, J.A. and K. Erzini. 2007. Trophic signatures of small-scale fishing gears and their implications for conservation and management. Marine Ecology Progress Series 333: 117-128.
- Curtis, J., Ribeiro, J., Erzini, K. and A. Vincent. 2007. A conservation tradeoff? Interspecific differences in seahorse responses to experimental changes in fishing effort. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 17: 468-484.
- Erzini, K. 2005. Trends in NE Atlantic landings (southern Portugal): identifying the relative importance of fisheries and environmental variables. Fisheries Oceanography 14: 195-209.
- Ribeiro J, Carvalho GM, Gonçalves JMS, Erzini K (2012) Fish assemblages of shallow intertidal habitats of the Ria Formosa lagoon (South Portugal): the influence of habitat and season. Marine Ecology Progress Series 446:259-273