Summary of CV:
Prof. dr. Jan Mees (°1964) is the general manager of the Flanders Marine Institute in Ostend since its establishment in 1999. He is trained as a marine biologist (MSc Zoology, MSc Environmental Sanitation, PhD Biology) at Ghent University, where he is part-time professor and has been teaching courses on data analysis, statistics, coastal ecosystems and fisheries. An experienced marine ecologist and taxonomist - contributing a.o. to the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) that is hosted at his institute - he is the author of more than fifty scientific publications, most in international journals with peer review. Jan Mees is vice-chair of the Marine Board of the European Science Foudation, and member of several European and global oceanography and marine biodiversity networks (e.g. POGO, MARS, MarBEF, EurOcean).
Experience Higher education:
Part-time professor (10%) at Ghent University (MSc programme Advanced Studies in Marine and Lacustrine Sciences, courses on Fisheries and Oceanographic Data Management).
Participation in Projects:
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- GLOSS, Global Sea Level Observing System Network
- MarBEF, Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning EU Network Of Excellence
- ENCORA, European Network on Coastal Research
- SeaDataNat, A Pan-European Infrastructure for Ocean and Marine Data Management
- PlanktonNet, A global plankton resource
- PESI, Pan-European Species directories Infrastructure
- Lifewatch , E-science and technology infrastructure for biodiversity data
- SIBEMA, Scientific and Institutional capacity building for implementing European marine policy in the Black Sea Region
- Ocean Ukraine, Strengthening the oceanographic data management and operational forecast services at IBSS and MHI, Ukraine
- 4D4Life, Distributed Dynamic Diversity Databases for Life
- EMODNet, European Marine Observation and Data Network
- Eurofleets, Towards an Alliance of European Research Fleets
- CLAMER, Climate Change Impacts on the Marine Environment: Research Results And Public Perception
- PEGASO, Towards a Maritime Sustainable Management in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea"
- Theseus, Innovative technologies for safe European coasts in a changing climate
- Claus, S.; Papatsiotsos, A., De los Rios, M.; Kreiken, W.; Villars, N.; Mees, J.; Dronkers, J. (2008). The Coastal and Marine Wiki: an Internet encyclopaedia providing up-todate high quality information for and by coastal and marine professionals, in: Iona, Sissy; Maillard, C. et al. (Ed.) (2008). IMDIS-2008: International Marine Data and Information Systems Conference, 31 March - 2 April 2008, Athens, Greece: Book of abstracts. pp. 224-225
- Lescrauwaet, A.-K.; Mees, J.; Gilbert, C. (2006). State of the coast of the Southern North Sea: an indicators-based approach to evaluating sustainable development in the coastal zone of the Southern North Sea. Vlaams Instituut voor de Zee (VLIZ): Oostende, Belgium. 140 pp.
- Maelfait, H.; Belpaeme, K.; Lescrauwaet, A.-K.; Mees, J. (2006). Indicators as reliable guides for Integrated Coastal Zone Management, in: Forkiewicz, M. (Ed.) (2006). Integrated Coastal Zone Management: theory and practice. EuroCoast - Littoral 2006, : pp. 180-186.
- Vandepitte, L., J. Vanaverbeke, B. Vanhoorne, F. Hernandez, T. Nara Bezerra, J. Mees & E. Vanden Berghe (2009). The MANUELA database: an integrated database on meiobenthos from European marine waters. Meiofauna Marina 17: 35-60.
- Vandepitte, L., B. Vanhoorne, A. Kraberg, N. Anisimova, C. Antoniadou, R. Araújo, I. Bartsch, B. Beker, L. Benedetti-Cecchi, I. Bertocci, S. Cochrane, K. Cooper, J. Craeymeersch, E. Christou, D.J. Crisp, S. Dahle, M. de Boissier, M. de Kluijver, S. Denisenko, D. De Vito, G. Duineveld, V. Escaravage, D. Fleischer, S. Fraschetti, A. Giangrande, C. Heip, H. Hummel, U. Janas, R. Karez, M. Kedra, P. Kingston, R. Kuhlenkamp, M. Libes, P. Martens, J. Mees, N. Mieszkowska, S. Mudrak, I. Munda, S. Orfanidis, M. Orlando-Bonaca, R. Palerud, E. Rachor, K. Reichert, H. Rumohr, D. Schiedek, P. Schubert, W.C.H. Sistermans, I. Sousa Pinto, A.J. Southward, A. Terlizzi, E. Tsiaga, J.E.E. van Beusekom, E. Vanden Berghe, J. Warzocha, N. Wasmund, J.M. Weslawski, C. Widdicombe, M. Wlodarska-Kowalczuk & M.L. Zettler (2010). Data integration for European marine biodiversity research: creating a database on benthos and plankton to study large-scale patterns and long-term changes. Hydrobiologia 644: 1-13.