Summary of CV:Dr O’Connor, lecturer at GMIT, is an active researcher (€1.7 million research funding since 2005) in marine megafauna conservation and biodiversity assessment. Specific interests include: technological approaches to marine megafauna population assessment, management and ecology & rapid biodiversity assessment techniques. Currently supervises 7 postgraduate and 1 postdoctoral and 1 research scientist. Coordinator for the honours degree in Applied Freshwater and Marine Biology. Member of Academic Council GMIT, Irish National Platform for Biodiversity Research & Advisory committee for the establishment of Irish Marine Graduate Education Programme. Prior to commencing in GMIT he worked in Ocean Science Services of the Irish Marine Institute and did postdoctoral research on cod aquaculture. His PhD covered the use of GIS in marine environmental monitoring.
Experience Higher education:2005 to present: Lecturer, School of Science, GMIT, Co-ordinator Degree in Applied Freshwater and Marine Biology.
2006. Guest lecturer University of Wolverhampton Field courses Spain
1999-2002: Teaching Fellow, Zoology Dept. National University of Ireland, Galway
Participation in Projects:RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- 2008-2011 Policy Recommendations for Cetacean Acoustics, Surveying and Tracking, Marine Institute Policy Measure, €501,000 - In collaboration with International Whaling Commission, Greenland Institute of Natural Resources, Tethys Institute, Italy,
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROJECTS
- Supervisor for Harvard University MLA degree for student completing thesis on a review of the common fisheries policy.
- Have developed postgraduate student placements with:
- Dr Bill Montevechhi, Memorial University Newfoundland, Canada
- Professor Per Palsbøll, Stockholm University
- Have hosted MSc interships for University of Parma, University of Pisa, University of Girona,
- Berrow, S., O’Brien, J., O’Connor, I and McGrath, D. 2009. Abundance estimate and acoustic monitoring of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena (l.)) in the Blasket Islands' candidate Special Area of Conservation. Biology and Environment. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 109B: 35-46
- O’Brien, J.M., Berrow, S.D., Ryan, C., McGrath, D., O’Connor, I., Pesante, G.,Burrows, G., Masset, N., Klotzer, V. and Whooley, P. . 2009. A note on long-distance matches of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) around the Irish coast using photo-identification. Journal of Cetacean Management 11(1) 71-76