Summary of CV:
Herman Hummel is co-ordinator of the Monitor Taskforce at the Netherlands Institute of Ecology and professor in Estuarine Ecophysiology at the University of Gdansk, Poland. He studies the genetics and ecophysiology of estuarine benthos. He was the Executive Director of MARBEF and is Executive Secretary of the MARS Network, uniting the marine research stations of Europe. He was general co-ordinator and participants of several projects to implement large-scale long-term marine biodiversity research in Europe. He published more than 195 papers of which 95 in refereed international journals and books, was involved in more than 60 multi-annual contracts, chaired or organised more than 60 networks, symposia and workshops, and obtained more than 55 grants from national and international organisations.
Experience Higher education:
Lectures and practical courses in Summerschools since 2001 at the Hel Marine Station of the University of Gdansk
Participation in Projects:
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- 2000-2002 BIOMARE “Implementation and networking of large-scale long-term MARine BIOdiversity research in Europe”. General co-ordinator. EC Concerted Action with 21 European institutes (EVR1-CT2000-20002)
- 2002-2004 “PNETOX: Toxicology and ecology of Hediste diversicolor”, cooperation with University of Nantes, France, in frame of French-Dutch co-operation.
- 2002-2006 MARBENA Creating a long term infrastructure for MARine Biodiversity research in the European economic area and the Newly Associated states. EC project
- 2002-2006 BIOCOMBE “The impact of BIOdiversity changes in COastal Marine Benthic Ecosystems”. General Co-ordinator. EC Project with 10 participaning institutes (EVK3-CT-2002-00072)
- 2004-2009 MARBEF “Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning”. Executive Director / Scientific Executive Secretary / chair executive committee. EC Network of Excellence with 56 Full Member institutes and 34 Associated Member institutes.
- 2008-2011 LifeWatch, ESFRI project on “A large-scale European Infrastructure for Biodiversity Research”, Workpackage Leader WP3 “Scientific Network Strategy”
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROJECTS
- Erasmus Mundus Mastercourse in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation : co-organiser and leading professor of the Summerschool, 10-22 July, Hel, Poland
- Wijnhoven, S., Escaravage, V., Daemen, E., Hummel, H. (2010). The decline and restoration of a coastal lagoon (Lake Veere) in the Dutch Delta. Estuaries and Coasts.
- Heip, C., H. Hummel, P. van Avesaath, W. Appeltans, C. Arvanitidis, R. Aspden, M. Austen, F. Boero, TJ Bouma, G. Boxshall, F. Buchholz, T. Crowe, A. Delaney, T. Deprez, C. Emblow, JP Feral, JM Gasol, A. Gooday, J. Harder, A. Ianora, A. Kraberg, B. Mackenzie, H. Ojaveer, D. Paterson, H. Rumohr, D. Schiedek, A. Sokolowski, P. Somerfield, I. Sousa Pinto, M. Vincx, J.M. Weslawski, R. Nash, 2009 Marine biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning, ISSN 2009-2539, 91 pp.
- Escaravage, V., P. M. J. Herman, B. Merckx, M. Wlodarska-Kowalczuk, J. M. Amouroux, S. Degraer, A. Grémare, C. H. R. Heip, H. Hummel, I. Karakassis, C. Labrune, W. Willems, 2009. Distribution patterns
- of macrofaunal species diversity in subtidal soft sediments: biodiversity–productivity relationships from the MacroBen database. Marine Ecology Progress Series 382: 253-264
- Ejdung, G., E. Flach, L. Byren, H. Hummel, 2009. Predation by crustaceans on native and non-native Baltic clams. Aq. Biol. 6: 15-24.
- Wijnhoven, S.; Sistermans, W.; Hummel, H., 2008 Historic developments in macrozoobenthos of the Rhine-Meuse estuary: From a tidal inlet to a freshwater lake. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 76, 95-110
- Jansen, J.M.; Pronker, S.A.E.; Kube, S.; Sokolowski, K.; Sola, J.C.; Marquiegui, M.; Schiedek, D.; Wolowicz, M.; Wendelaar Bonga, S.; Hummel, H., 2007. Geographic and seasonal patterns and limits in the adaptive response to temperature of European Mytilus spp. and Macoma balthica populations. Oecologia 154: 23-34
- Sukhotin A.A., Strelkov P.P., Maximovich N.V., Hummel H., 2007. Growth and longevity of Mytilus edulis (L.) from northeast Europe. Marine Biology Research 3: 155-167.