Martin J Attrill
Summary of CV:Prof. Martin Attrill is a marine ecologist whose primary research interest is focused on the mechanisms behind long-term change and large-scale spatial patterns in marine assemblages and populations. He has been working with long-term data from marine fish and invertebrate populations within a range of habitats such as the Thames Estuary, Brazilian coral reefs and the open Atlantic Ocean, including investigating the role of climate variation on fish, corals and plankton. He has published 100 papers in the prime literature, primarily on fish and benthic systems such as seagrass, and has also current projects investigating the roles of Marine Protected Areas and impacts of offshore renewable energy developments. Since 2008 he has been Director of the Marine Institute at the University of Plymouth.
Experience Higher education:Director of the Marine Institute (2009-present) Professor of Marine Ecology, University of Plymouth (2004-2009)
Reader in Marine Ecology, University of Plymouth (2002-2004)
Senior Lecturer in Marine & Estuarine Ecology, University of Plymouth (1992-2002)
Marine Biologist, National Rivers Authority (1988-1992)
PhD, University of Liverpool (1988)
BSc, University of Liverpool (1985)
Participation in Projects:RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- €364,908 - EU FP7, 2009-2013 (Knowledge-based sustainable management for Europe's Seas).
- €636,608 – EU FP6, 2004-2007 (Habitat Loss in European Coastal Seas, part of €2.5 million European Lifestyles and Marine Ecosystems. UoP share: €244,757)
- €213,730 - EU INTERREG, 2009-2012 (CHARM3 "CHannel integrated Approach for marine Resource Management")
- €81,640 - EU INTERREG, 2009-2013 (CRESH "Cephalopod Recruitment from English channel Spawning Habitats")
- ATTRILL, M.J., WRIGHT, J., EDWARDS, M. (2007). Climate-related increases in jellyfish frequency suggest a more gelatinous future for the North Sea. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52: 480-485.
- McQUATTERS-GOLLOP, A., RAITSOS, D.E., EDWARDS, M., PRADHAN, Y., MEE, L.D., LAVENDER, S.J., ATTRILL, M.J. (2007). A long-term chlorophyll dataset reveals regime shift in North Sea phytoplankton biomass unconnected to increasing nutrient levels. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52: 635-648.
- SVENSSON, P., RODWELL, L.D., ATTRILL, M.J. (2009). Privately managed marine reserves as a mechanism for the conservation of coral reef ecosystems: a case study from Vietnam. Ambio 38: 72-78.
- INGER, R., ATTRILL, M.J., BEARHOP, S., BRODERICK, A.C., GRECIAN, W.J., HODGSON, D.J., SHEEHAN, E., VOTIER, S.C., WITT, M.J., GODLEY, B.J. (2009). Marine Renewable Energy: potential benefits to biodiversity? An urgent call for research. J. Appl. Ecol. 46: 1145–1153 (Open Access)
- ATTRILL, M.J. RUNDLE, S.D., FRASER, A., POWER, M.(2009). Oligochaetes as a possible entry route for terrigenous organic carbon into estuarine benthic food webs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 384: 147-157