|Institute:||University of Gdansk|
|Phone:||(+48) 58 523 68 53|
Summary of CV:
Rafal Lasota (° 1978) is a scientific assistant at the Institute of Oceanography, University of Gdansk. He completed his doctoral dissertation in 2009 on population genetics and molecular evolution of marine invertebrates. His teaching experience concerns lectures and practical classes with students of Oceanography, Marine Biology and Environment Protection: Anthropogenic modifications of water environment, Basics of marine organisms genetics, Genetics of marine organisms, Statistics, Practical courses in the sea. He was also involved as a teacher and co-organizer in 7 international summer schools (6 within the frame of EC programmes). He is author and co-author of seven scientific publications and 11 conference communications. He has been involved in 5 international (e.g. BIOCOMBE (contracted PhD student), MARBEF, BALTDER) and 7 national research projects.
Experience Higher education:
WORK EXPERIENCE IN HIGHER EDUCATION
- 2002-2008 University of Gdansk, Institute of Oceanography: practical courses and lectures as PhD student and contracted teacher
- 2009-. Scientific Assistant at the University of Gdansk, Institute of Oceanography, Department of Marine Ecosystems Functioning: lectures and practical classes
CURRENT and RECENT TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Courses (lectures and practical classes) with students of Oceanography and Environment Protection at the University of Gdansk: Anthropogenic modifications of water environment, Basics of marine organisms genetics, Genetics of marine organisms, Statistics, Practical courses in the sea.
- Teacher of population genetics during 6 international summer schools.
Participation in Projects:
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- 2001. Genetic diversity of Macoma balthica and Mya arenaria in the Atlantic and Baltic Sea from France to Poland. Netherlands-UNESCO Sponsored Fellowship Programme, contract: ZZ0007, Project: 29 (project during Msc study)
- 2002-2005. The impact of Biodiversity changes in Coastal Marine Benthic Ecosystems (BIOCOMBE) (EVK3-CT-2002-00072), V FP EU
- 2003. Integrated Program of the Baltic Sea Monitoring (HELCOM COMBINE) (monitoring cruise on r/v Baltica)
- 2003-2005. BALTDER Centre of Excellence for Baltic Development, Education and Research, V FP EU
- 2005-2008. MARBEF, Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning, EU Network of Excellence, VI FP EU
- 2009-. Molecular causes of skewed sex ratio in Mytilus spp. populations from the Gulf of Gdansk. MSHE, N N304 135337 (project in cooperation with Museum of Natural History, London, England)
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROJECTS
- 2003. BALDTER Summer school, Hel, Poland: Primary production on intertidal mudflats: structure and functioning, coupling between physical and biological processes. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2004. Baltic Course, Hel , Poland: Adaptive strategies of benthic animals in tidal and non-tidal systems. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2005. BALDTER Marine Biology Summer School, Hel, Poland: Adaptive strategies and biodiversity among intertidal and coastal marine organisms. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2006. MARBEF Marine Biology Summer School, Hel, Poland: Biodiversity and adaptive strategies of marine organisms in European coastal systems. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2007. MARBEF Marine Biology Summer School, Hel, Poland: Physiological and genetic diversity of marine organisms in European coastal systems. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2008. MARBEF Marine Biology Summer School, Hel, Poland: Physiological and genetic diversity of marine organisms in European coastal systems. Co-organizing and teaching.
- 2009. EMBC (Erasmus Mundus MSC in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation) Summer School, Hel, Poland: Physiological and genetic diversity of marine organisms in European coastal systems. Co-organizing and teaching.
- Lasota R., Hummel H., Wolowicz M. 2004. Genetic diversity of European populations of the invasive soft-shell clam Mya arenaria (Bivalvia). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK 84, 1051–1056
- Wolowicz M., Sokolowski A., Bawazir A. S., Lasota R. 2006. Effect of eutrophication on the distribution and ecophysiology of the mussel Mytilus trossulus (Bivalvia) in southern Baltic Sea (the Gulf of Gdansk). Limnology and Oceanography, 52(2), 580-590
- Lasota R., Wolowicz M. 2006. Genetic diversity of Mytilus trossulus from the refugial pebbly field Rowy. IN: Osowiecki A., Kruk-Dowgiallo L. (eds.). Biodiversity in the coastal pebbly field Rowy next to Slowinski National Park. Maritime Institute in Gdansk (in Polish)
- Wolowicz M., Sokolowski A., Lasota R. 2007. Estuaries-a biological point of view. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 36 (3), 113-130
- Lasota R., Wolowicz M. 2010. The soft-shell clam Mya arenaria-history of invasion in the World Ocean. IN: Glowacinski Z., Okarma H., Pawlowski J., Solarz W. (eds.). Alien animal species in Poland. Vol. 2. Institute of Nature Protection, PAS, Krakow (in press) (in Polish)