Summary of CV:Professor of Marine and Estuarine Ecology and of Biological Oceanography. Deputy Director of the Doctoral Programme on Marine and Environmental Sciences. Former member of the Board of Directors of CESAM - Centre for Environmental and Marine Studies. Member of the International Advisory Board of the Coastal Research and Planning Institute (Klaipeda, Lithuania) and referee of projects submitted to the National Science Foundation (USA) and the International Foundation for Science. Member of the Strategic Council of the Berlengas Natural Reserve and of the Strategic Council of the Administration of the Centre Hydrographic Region. Principal Investigator or team member of several national and international research projects on marine ecology. Editor of two books and author of 38 papers (409 citations) in leading international journals in the area of Marine Biology. Research advisor of 9 M. Sc. students, 7 Ph. D. students and 2 post-doc researchers.
Experience Higher education:Has been teaching theoretical and lab courses to undergraduated, master and doctorate students since 1983 in the University of Aveiro. Supervisor of 20 honours projects in Biology and of 8 Pedagogical Practices in Teaching of Biology and Geology, and research advisor of 9 M. Sc. students, 7 Ph. D. students and 2 post-doc researchers. Participated in the post-graduated programme on Biological Sciences of the Universidade Estadual Paulista, SP, Brasil.
CURRENT and RECENT TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Marine Ecology, theoretical and practical classes. Doctoral Programme in Marine and Environmental Sciences.
- Biological Oceanography, theoretical and practical classes. Master in the Sea and the Coastal Zones.
- Marine and Estuarine Ecology, theoretical and practical classes. Graduation in Biology.
- Biodiversity and Aquatic Ecology, theoretical classes. Master in Applied Biology.
- Laboratory and Fieldwork in Marine Biology, practical classes. Master in Marine Biology.
- Structure and Functioning of Marine Ecosystems, theoretical and practical classes. Master in Marine Biology.
- Scientific Methodologies in Marine Ecology, theoretical and practical classes. Advanced course offered to the West Indian Ocean Marine Science Association.
- Ecology I, theoretical and practical classes. Graduations in Biology, in Environmental Engeneering and in Teaching of Biology and Geology.
- Ecology II, theoretical and practical classes. Graduations in Biology, in Teaching of Biology and Geology.
- Previous to 2000
- Elements of Ecology, practical classes. Graduation in Regional and Urban Planning.
- Natural Resources, theoretical classes. Graduation in Environmental Engeneering.
- Discovering the Environment, practical classes. Graduations in Kindergardenist and in Teacher of Primary School.
Participation in Projects:RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
RAIA - Observatorio oceánico del margen ibérico (Interrreg/0313_RAIA_1_E).
HERMIONE - Hotspot ecosystem research and Man's impact on European seas (FP7, ENV.2008.2.2.1.2, Proj nº 226354).
CHEMECO - Monitoring colonisation processes in chemosynthetic ecosystems (European Science Foundation, EURODDEP/0001/2007).
- dos Santos, A., Santos, A. M. P., Conway, D. V. P., Bartilotti, C., Lourenço, P., Queiroga, H., 2008. Diel vertical migration of decapod larvae in the Portuguese coastal upwelling ecosystem. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 359: 171-183. Citations= 7
- Peliz, A., Marchesiello, P., Dubert, J., Almeida, M., Roy, P., Queiroga, H., 2007. A study of crab larval dispersal on the Western Iberia shelf: physical processes. Journal of Marine Systems, 68: 215-236. Citations= 10
- Queiroga, H., Almeida, M. J., Alpuim, T., Flores, A. A. V., Francisco, S., Gonzalez-Gordillo, J. I., Miranda, A. I., Silva, I., Paula, J., 2006. Tide and wind control of megalopal supply to estuarine crab populations on the Portuguese west coast. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 307: 21-36. Citations= 26
- Marta-Almeida, M., Dubert, J., Peliz, A., Queiroga, H., 2006. Influence of vertical migration pattern on retention of crab larvae in the shelf in a seasonal upwelling system. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 307: 1-19. Citations= 22
- Queiroga, H., Blanton, J., 2005. Interactions between behaviour and physical forcing in the control of horizontal transport of decapod crustaceans’ larvae: an overview. Advances in Marine Biology, 47: 105-212. Citations= 53