Marina R Cunha
|Institute:||University of Aveiro|
|Phone:||+351 234 370 969|
Summary of CV:
Marina R. Cunha (1962), Auxiliary Professor at Universidade de Aveiro (Portugal) since 2000, is a specialist in marine benthic biodiversity and ecology. She started a deep-sea studies group in 2000 (http://leme.web.ua.pt) integrating the Centro de Estudos do Ambiente e do Mar (CESAM). She is teaching Biodiversity and Ecology, Structure and Functioning of Marine Ecosystems and Marine Conservation Biology in the Master in Applied Biology. She is promoter of 8 PhDs (5 ongoing, 3 concluded in the last 3 years) and 8 MScs (1 ongoing, 6 concluded in the last 5 years). She is co-author of 23 taxa new to science and has 32 refereed publications in marine invertebrate taxonomy and biology, benthic ecology and biodiversity and ecosystem functioning. She has been involved in several national and international research programmes (CoML, HERMES, HERMIONE, EuroDEEP, MARINERA).
Experience Higher education:
Marina R. Cunha started her experience in higher Education in 1986 as Probationer Assistant teaching practical courses on Invertebrate Diversity and Ecology for the degrees in Biology, Biology and Geology and Environmental Engineering. In 1991, she continued as Assistant Lecturer, teaching several practical courses and lectures in the scientific domains of Biodiversity and Ecology. In 2000, she started a position of Auxiliary Professor lecturing several courses on Biodiversity, Ecology, Marine Biology and Conservation for the degrees in Biology, Biology and Geology, Environmental Engineering and Marine Sciences, and Master in Coastal Sciences, Marine Biology, Applied Biology – Ecology and Applied Biology – Marine Biology. She tutored several foreign students in international teaching programmes, and promoted 8 PhD students and 8 MSc students.
CURRENT and RECENT TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2009-2010: Biodiversity and Ecology, Master in Applied Biology – Ecology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2009-2010: Structure and Functioning of Marine Ecosystems, Master in Applied Biology – Marine Biology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2008-2010: Marine Conservation Biology, Licenciatura in Marine Sciences and Master in Applied Biology –Marine Biology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2008-2010: Themes and Laboratory in Biology, Licenciatura in Biology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2008-2010: Themes and Practice in Biology, Licenciatura in Biology and Geology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2007-2008: Marine Diversity and Biology, Licenciatura in Marine Sciences, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2007-2008: Ecology, Licenciatura in Biology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2007-2008: Fundamental Ecology, Licenciatura in Environmental Engineering, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2007-2008: Ecology and Conservation, Licenciatura in Biology and Geology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2002-2008: Ecology 1, Licenciatura in Biology, Licenciatura in Biology and Geology, Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2002-2008: Ecology 2, Licenciatura in Biology, Licenciatura in Biology and Geology, Universidade de Aveiro.
Participation in Projects:
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- 2009- (ongoing): Hotspot Ecosystem Research and Man’s Impact on European Seas (HERMIONE). Collaborative Project (Large-scale integrating project), 7th European Commission’s Framework Programme, ENV.2008.2.2.1.2 Deep-sea Ecosystems. Proj nº 226354. Duration: 3 years. (M.R. Cunha is the PI for Universidade de Aveiro)
- 2009- (ongoing): Regional Drivers of Ecosystem Change and its Influence on Deep-Sea Populations in the Mediterranean (ReDEco). Integrated Project, RTD European Programme, Marinera Pilot Call,. Duration: 3 years. (M.R. Cunha is Workpackage leader and PI for Universidade de Aveiro.
- 2008-(ongoing): Monitoring colonisation processes in chemosynthetic ecosystems CHEMECO Projecto Integrado, Eurocores Programme, EuroDEEP call (EURODDEP/0001/2007). Duration: 3 years. (M.R. Cunha is the PI for Portugal)
- 2006- (ongoing): Continental Margin Ecosystems on a Worldwide Scale (COMARGE). Sub-project of Census of Marine Life (CoML). (M.R. Cunha is an Associate Member).
- 2005-2009: Hotspot Ecosystem Research on the Margins of European Seas (HERMES). Integrated Project, 6th European Commission’s Framework Programme, FP6-2003-Global-2, Thematic Priority 6.3 - Global Change and Ecosystems, sub-priority research area 6.3.II.1.5 – Integrated research on ecosystems lying in the deeper ocean section. Ref.: GOCE-CT-2005-511234-1. Duration: 4 years. (M.R. Cunha is PI for Universidade de Aveiro)
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROJECTS
- 2002-2010: Erasmus student exchanges programme (M.R. Cunha tutored several visitor students in the Universidade de Aveiro
- 2000-2008: Training Through Research – Floating University, UNESCO – IOC (http://ioc.unesco.org/ttr/) (M.R: Cunha participated in cruises, onboard “hands-on” training of biology students and post-cruise meetings).
- 2003-2006: Leonardo da Vinci – European Commission Education and Training (M.R. Cunha participated in the preparation of the Universidade de Aveiro application and was the promoter of 2 students).
- Cordes, E, MR Cunha, J Galeron, C Mora, K. Olu-Le-Roy, M Sibuet, S Van Gaever, A Vanreusel, L Levin (2010) The influence of geological, geochemical, and biogenic habitat heterogeneity on seep biodiversity. Marine Ecology. 31: 51-65
- Hilário, A. SB Johnson, RC Vrijenhoek, MR Cunha, (2010) High diversity of frenulates (Polychaeta: Siboglinidae) in the Gulf of Cadiz mud volcanoes: a DNA taxonomy analysis. Deep Sea Research I, 57: 143-150
- Tyler, P, T Amaro, R Arzola, MR Cunha, H de Stigter, A Gooday, V Huvenne, J Ingels, K Kiriakoulakis, G Lastras, D Masson, A Oliveira, A Pattenden, A Vanreusel, T Van Weering, J Vitorino, U Witte, G Wolff (2009) Europe’s Grand Canyon: Nazaré submarine canyon. Oceanography, 22: 46-57
- Corbera, J, M Segonzac, MR Cunha (2008) A new deep-sea genus of Nannastacidae (Crustacea, Cumacea) from the Lucky Strike hydrothermal vent field (Azores Triple Junction, Mid-Atlantic Ridge). Marine Biology Research. 4: 180-192.
- Moura, CJ, DJ Harris, MR Cunha, AD Rogers (2008) DNA barcoding reveals cryptic diversity in marine hydroids (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa) from coastal and deep-sea environments. Zoologica Scripta 37: 93-108