Michael W Beck
Summary of CV:Mike Beck is a Senior Scientist with the Global Marine Team of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and a research associate at the University of California Santa Cruz. As Senior Scientist he directly oversees the science work of 15 staff (Annual budget - $US3.5 Million). This team is connected to a staff of >100 TNC marine staff in 20+ countries. He works in the interface between marine science and policy. His present work includes research on (i) marine spatial planning (ii) the nursery role of nearshore habitats, and (iii) the conservation and restoration of shellfish reefs and beds. He has 28 publications in peer reviewed journals. He serves as the direct University advisor to only a handful of students. He has financially supported and advised > 25 MSC, PhD and postdoctoral students on TNC projects.
Experience Higher education:
- 2005- Adjunct Assistant Professor. Ocean Sciences, Univ. of California at Santa Cruz
- 2000- Research Associate. Institute of Marine Sciences, Univ. of California at Santa Cruz
- 1998-2000 Adjunct Assistant Professor. Dept. of Biology, San Francisco State University
Participation in Projects:RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
My small team works directly on major projects in 9 different countries currently and advises on projects of staff in another 11 countries.
RECENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROJECTS
“ECO GOVERNANCE –Ecological foundations for the governance of the Adriatic coastal space: ecology, monitoring and management of transitional aquatic ecosystems” (EU INTEREG/CARDS-PHARE, 2007-2008)
- Palumbi, S. R., P. A. Sandifer, J.D. Allan, Beck, M. W., D. G. Fautin, M. Fogarty, B. S. Halpern, L. S. Incze, J. Leong, E. Norse, J. Stachowicz, D. Wall. 2009. Managing for ocean biodiversity: creating a national biodiversity conservation agenda to sustain marine ecosystem services. Frontiers in Ecology 7: 204–211.
- Carranza, A., Defeo, O., Beck, M. W. 2009. Diversity, conservation status and threats for native oysters (Ostreidae) in the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts of South America. Aquatic Conservation 19:344-353.
- Airoldi, L, Beck, M. W. 2007. Loss, status, and trends for coastal marine habitats of Europe. Annual Review of Marine Biology and Oceanography 45:347-407.
- Beck, M. W., T. D. Marsh, S. E. Reisewitz, M. Bortman. 2004. New tools for marine conservation: the leasing and ownership of submerged lands. Conservation Biology 18:1214–1223.
- Beck, M. W., Heck, K. L. Jr. , Able, K. W., Childers, D. L., Eggleston, D. B., Gillanders, B. M., Halpern, B., Hays, C. G., Hoshino, K., Minello, T. J., Orth, R. J. Sheridan, P. F., Weinstein, M. P. 2003. The role of nearshore ecosystems as fish and shellfish nurseries. Issues in Ecology 11:1-12.