MARES contact person:Prof. Dr. Jan Mees (email@example.com)
The Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) is the coordination and information platform for marine scientific research in Flanders. The VLIZ is a focal point for marine and coastal-related research and serves as an international contact point. The VLIZ signs cooperation agreements with Flemish research groups and administrations and furthermore integrates its activities in national and international networks. To realise its strategic objectives the VLIZ gives priority to the following activities :
• Supporting marine scientific research by making use of research vessel 'Zeeleeuw' and other research equipment and infrastructure for common use.
• Managing and developing the Flanders Marine Data and Information Centre (VMDC).
• Managing a multimedia centre that is developing a collection of marine scientific and coast-related literature and multimedia.
• Promoting a network of marine scientists and other persons
• Managing an information desk that provides objective scientific information
VLIZ expresses interest and support for the MARES project. In accordance with the contents of the project proposal VLIZ agrees to play an active role in Data Management and policy within MARES. It will also support the integration of European marine research in MARES. VLIZ will furthermore provide MARES candidates with a number of services. Library services and provision of data facilities are considered important in this context.